The compact calls on companies to embrace the ten universal principles in the key areas of human rights, labour standards and the environment.
These principles are:
- To support and respect International Human Rights within the company’s sphere of influence.
- To make sure that their own corporations are not complicit with Human Rights Violation.
- To support a precautionary approach to environmental challenges.
- To undertake initiative to promote greater environmental responsibility.
- To encourage the diffusion of environmentally friendly technology.
- To work against all forms of corruption, including extortion and bribery.